Archival and Data Collection Projects
Policy Review Articles
- “Stealing Deposits: Deposit Insurance, Risk-Taking and the Removal of Market Discipline in Early 20th Century Banks” (With Charles Calomiris) – Forthcoming Journal of Finance
- “The (Dis)Advantages of Clearinghouses Before the Fed” Forthcoming Journal of Financial Economics
- “How was the Quantitative Easing Program of the 1930s Unwound? (With Gabriel Mathy) Forthcoming Explorations in Economic History
- “Looking Back on the Age of Checking in America, 1800-1960” (with Gabriel Mathy) Forthcoming Revista de la Historia de la Economía y de la Empresa.
- “Liquidity Risk, Bank Networks, and the Value of Joining the Fed” (With Haelim Anderson, Charles Calomiris, and Gary Richardson) Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 50 (2018), pp. 173-201
- “The Dawn of an ‘Age of Deposits’ in the United States” (With Peter Rousseau) Journal of Banking and Finance Vol. 87 (2018), pp. 264-281.
- “Did Inequality in Farm Sizes Lead to Suppression of Banking and Credit in the Late Nineteenth Century?” (With Price Fishback) Journal of Economic History Vol. 78 (2018), pp. 155-195.
- “Banker Preferences, Interbank Connections, and the Enduring Structure of the Federal Reserve System” (With David Wheelock) Explorations in Economic History Vol. 66 (2017), pp. 21-43.
- “Understanding the Cyclical Nature of Financial Intermediation Costs” (With Ayse Sapci) Southern Economic Journal vol. 84 (2017), pp. 181–201.
- “Deposit Insurance: Theories and Facts” (With Charles Calomiris) Annual Review of Financial Economics. Vol. 8 (2016), 97-120.
- "The Competition and Coexistance of Mutual and Commercial Banks in New England, 1870-1914" (With Brady Plastaras) Cliometrica.Vol. 10 (2016), 151-179.
- "The Evolution of Bank Supervision: Evidence from U.S. States" (With Kris Mitchener) Journal of Economic History Vol. 75 (2015), pp 819-859.
- "Introduction au régime de banque libre aux États-Unis (An Introduction to Free Banking in the United States)" Revue d'économie financière Vol. 117 (2015), pp. 245-248.
- "Clearinghouses as Credit Regulators Before the Fed” Journal of Financial Stability Vol. 17 (2015), pp. 10–21.
- "American Banking and the Transportation Revolution Before the Civil War” (with Jeremy Atack and Peter Rousseau) Journal of Economic History Vol. 74 (2015), pp. 943 - 986
- "Sales and Firm Entry: The Case of Wal-Mart" (with PJ Glandon) Southern Economic Journal Vol. 81 (2014), pp. 168-192
- "National Banking's Role in U.S. Industrialization, 1850-1900" Journal of Economic History Vol. 74 (2014), pp. 109-140.
- “State Banks and the National Banking Acts: Measuring the Response to Increased Financial Regulation, 1860–1870” Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 45 (2013), pp. 379–399.
- “Banks, Free Banks, and Economic Growth” (with Peter Rousseau) Economic Inquiry Vol. 51 (2013), pp. 1603–1621.
- “Land, Location, and Labor: Accounting for Racial Differences in Postbellum Cotton Production” (with Neil Canaday) Explorations in Economic History Vol. 49 (2012), pp. 291-302.
- “Estimating Antebellum Passenger Costs: A Hub-and-Spoke Approach” Historical Methods Vol. 45 (2012), pp. 93-101.
- “Bank-Specific Default Risk In The Pricing Of Bank Note Discounts” Journal of Economic History Vol. 71 (2011), pp. 950-975.
- “Free Bank Failures: Risky Bonds vs. Undiversified Portfolios”, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking Vol. 42 (2010), pp. 1565-1587.
- "Did Railroads Make Antebellum U.S. Banks More Sound? Linking Rail Locations With Bank Balance Sheets and Survival Rates" (With Jeremy Atack and Peter Rousseau) in Enterprising America: Business, Banks, and Credit Markets in Historical Perspective , Collins, William J., and Robert A. Margo eds., 149-178. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2015.
- "The Cliometric Study of Financial Panics and Crashes" in the Handbook of Cliometrics
- "Banking from 1790 to the Founding of the Federal Reserve" (With Peter Rousseau) Forthcoming Oxford Dictionary of American Economic History
- "Privately Issued Money in the US" Forthcoming Handbook of the History of Money and Currency
- Review of Kenneth D. Garbade’s Birth of a Market: The U.S. Treasury Securities Market from the Great War to the Great Depression. Economic History Review Vol. 66 (2013), pp. 1219–1220
- Review of Nicholas Crafts and Peter Fearon's The Great Depression of the 1930s: Lessons for Today. Journal of Economic Literature Vol. 52 (2014), pp. 541-542
- Review of Michael J Hightower’s Banking in Oklahoma Before Statehood. Journal of Economic History Vol. 74 (2014), pp. 1239-1241.
- Review of Paul Kahn’s The Bank War: Andrew Jackson, Nicholas Biddle, and the Fight for American Finance. Forthcoming Journal of Economic History.
- Review of Randall E. Parker and Robert Whaples’ Routledge Handbook of Major Events in Economic History. Forthcoming Journal of Economic Literature.
- Review of Jane Ellen Knodell’s The Second Bank of the United States: “Central” banker in an era of nation-building, 1816-1936 Forthcoming Journal of Economic History.
- “Populists at the Polls: Economic Factors in the 1896 Presidential Election” (With Barry Eichengreen, Michael Haines, and David Leblang)
- “Banking on the Boom, Tripped by the Bust: Banks and the World War I Agricultural Price Shock” (With David Wheelock)
- “Did the U.S. Postal Savings System Reach the Unbanked? An Empirical History" (With Steven Sprick Schuster and Elisabeth Ruth Perlman)
- “Liquidity Requirements, Free-Riding, and the Implications for Financial Stability Evidence from the early 1900s” (With Mark Carlson)
- “Bank Concentration in the United States, 1800-1914” (With Caroline Frohlin)
- “Quantifying Wildcat Banking” (With Jeremy Atack)
- “Banks, Life Cycle Saving, and the American Fertility Transition, 1800-1880” (With Michael Haines and J. David Hacker)
- “What does not kill you makes you stronger: Evidence from a “natural” bank stress test before the Great Depression" (With Philipp Ager)
- “Competition, Business Cycles, and Price Flexibility in Grocery Stores" (With PJ Glandon)
Archival and Data Collection Projects
- U.S. Passenger Transportation Costs - 1837, 1849, 1859, 1867
- National Bank Balance Sheets - Comptroller of the Currency - 1865-1934
- State Bank Balance Sheets - Various State Banking Department Records- 1863-1924
- Locations of National Banks, State Banks, and Trust Companies - Bankers Directories - 1860-1910, 1919, 1929, 1940
- Correspondents of National Banks, State Banks, and Trust Companies - Bankers Directories - 1890, 1893, 1897, 1900, 1910, 1919, 1940
- Locations of U.S. Clearinghouses – Bankers Directories - 1852-1920, 1929, 1940
Policy Review Articles
- “Populists at the polls: Economic factors in the 1896 presidential election” (With Barry Eichengreen, Michael Haines, and David Leblang) VoxEU.org, 25 October 2017: http://voxeu.org/article/economic-factors-1896-presidential-election
- “Stealing Deposits: Deposit Insurance, Risk-Taking and the Removal of Market Discipline in Early 20th Century Banks” (With Charles Calomiris) Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, 1 November 2016: https://corpgov.law.harvard.edu/2016/11/11/stealing-deposits-deposit-insurance-risk-taking-and-the-removal-of-market-discipline-in-early-20th-century-banks/
- “Deposit Insurance: Savior or Subsidy?” (With Charles Calomiris) Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation, 8 July 2016: https://corpgov.law.harvard.edu/2016/07/08/deposit-insurance-savior-or-subsidy/
- “The expansion of liability insurance availability and its effectiveness in limiting systemic risk” (With Charles Calomiris) VoxEU.org, 1 June 2016: http://voxeu.org/article/political-economy-deposit-insurance
- “The enduring structure of the Federal Reserve System: Is it time to redraw the map?” (With David Wheelock) VoxEU.org, 25 October 2015: http://voxeu.org/article/enduring-structure-federal-reserve-system-it-time-redraw-map